Zambia Dry Sanitation Country Program 2017-2020
The aim of this project is to step up from the community level to the country level, to increase the effectiveness and to improve the results of the sanitation development efforts, the ZDSP is combining earlier dry sanitation projects as a larger country program including several project sites situated in urban and peri-urban settlements and outskirts of Lusaka, Monze, Livingstone and Kitwe.
- Better participation of Zambia Government & stakeholders to address poor sanitation in the country
- Change of behaviour: the usage of DT’s, DT outputs as fertilizers&improved hygiene knowledge & practises
- Reduction of water born diseases
- Providing scientific evidence of the safety and effectiveness of using urine and compost in agriculture & forestry
- Income generation through CBE’s & SME’s
The key activities:
- Construction of dry sanitation (UDDT-toilets) facilities & water points
- Awareness creation and education (sensitization, stakeholders, media)
- Demand creation, social marketing, creating livelihood among the beneficiaries
- Advocacy (eg. national, provincial & local policies &practices)
- Agricultural and Forestry (re-use of urine & compost)
- Research (agriculture, safety, sensitisation)
The local partners:
- Livingstone Green Initiative (LGI),
- Network of Environmental Concerns and Solutions (NECOS)
- Green Living Movement (GLM).
Project works with several stakeholders eg. government, local councils, service providers, areal groups, training institutes and private entities.